What is ImPACT?
ImPACT is a sophisticated, research-based computer test developed to help clinicians evaluate an athlete’s recovery following concussion. The program begins with a 20-minute test battery administered in the preseason for a baseline, and includes puzzles and tasks that measure a variety of factors. When a concussion is suspected, a follow-up test is administered to see if the results have changed from the baseline. This comparison helps to diagnose and manage the concussion. Follow-up tests can be administered over days or weeks so you can continue to track the injury.
The ImPACT Program
ImPACT evaluates and documents multiple aspects of neurocognitive functioning, including memory, attention span, brain processing speed, reaction time, and post-concussive symptoms. The user-friendly injury documentation system enables you to track the injury from the field and through the recovery process.
Why Use ImPACT?
• Decisions about when an injured athlete can return to play following a concussion are often very difficult.
• Returning an athlete to play before COMPLETE recovery significantly increases his/her risk for sustaining an additional, even more severe, brain injury.
• Athletes will often fail to report symptoms of concussion hoping they can get back to the playing field more quickly.
• If athletes return to play too soon following a concussion their season and their health are at serious risk.
Using Impact to implement baseline and post-injury neurocognitive testing can help you objectively evaluate the concussed athlete’s post-injury condition and recovery to prevent the cumulative effects of concussion. And in the event that baseline testing is not possible, ImPACT has a normative database of thousands of non-injured athletes, which can also be used for effective comparison.
Who is Behind ImPACT?
Mark Lovell, PhD, ABPN, Joseph Maroon, MD, and Michael Collins, PhD, founded ImPACT in 2002. These professionals are world leaders in the field of concussion management and are committed to the ongoing development of advanced concussion management tools. ImPACT team members have dedicated the past 15 years to the scientific study of sports-related concussion and the clinical application of this knowledge throughout professional and amateur sports.
Who Uses ImPACT?
– 18 MLB Teams
– MLB Umpires
– 24 NFL Teams
– Major League Soccer
– Professional Hockey
– USA Olympic Hockey
– USA Ski Team
– US Soccer Federation
– 300 Universities
– New Zealand Rugby
– US Lacrosse
– US Army/US Coast Guard/US Navy/US Air Force Academy
– 225+ Clinical Centers
– 900+ High Schools